Re: Replication Node Identifiers and crashsafe Apply Progress - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Replication Node Identifiers and crashsafe Apply Progress
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Agreed. As an alternative we could just have a single - probably longer
> than NAMEDATALEN - string to identify replication progress and rely on
> the users of the facility to build the identifier automatically
> themselves using components that are helpful in their system.

I tend to feel like a generic identifier would be better.  I'm not
sure why something like a UUID wouldn't be enough, though.
Arbitrary-length identifiers will be bad for performance, and 128 bits
ought to be enough for anyone.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company