Re: Why does load_external_function() return PGFunction? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Why does load_external_function() return PGFunction?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Possible. But IIRC the parameter-unknown form isn't valid C++ and Peter
> Eisentraut has done a good chunk of work to make it possible to compile
> postgres as that. We shouldn't make his job harder.

Fair point.

> IMO the important
> part isn't that the parameters fit exactly - we'll have to cast for the
> return type anyway - but that it's declared as a pointer-to-function for
> the hyptothetical supported platform that has different pointers to
> functions than to other objects.

Probably the more relevant concern is what's going to compile
warning-free on all supported compilers.  I think it's unlikely that
such a hypothetical supported platform actually exists, although maybe
I'm wrong.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company