Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached updated version patch. I've moved only relation extension
> locks out of heavy-weight lock as per discussion so far.
>
> I've done a write-heavy benchmark on my laptop; loading 24kB data to
> one table using COPY by 1 client, for 10 seconds. The through-put of
> patched is 10% better than current HEAD. The result of 5 times is the
> following.
>
> ----- PATCHED -----
> tps = 178.791515 (excluding connections establishing)
> tps = 176.522693 (excluding connections establishing)
> tps = 168.705442 (excluding connections establishing)
> tps = 158.158009 (excluding connections establishing)
> tps = 161.145709 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> ----- HEAD -----
> tps = 147.079803 (excluding connections establishing)
> tps = 149.079540 (excluding connections establishing)
> tps = 149.082275 (excluding connections establishing)
> tps = 148.255376 (excluding connections establishing)
> tps = 145.542552 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> Also I've done a micro-benchmark; calling LockRelationForExtension and
> UnlockRelationForExtension tightly in order to measure the number of
> lock/unlock cycles per second. The result is,
> PATCHED = 3.95892e+06 (cycles/sec)
> HEAD = 1.15284e+06 (cycles/sec)
> The patched is 3 times faster than current HEAD.
>
> Attached updated patch and the function I used for micro-benchmark.
> Please review it.

That's a nice speed-up.

How about a preliminary patch that asserts that we never take another
heavyweight lock while holding a relation extension lock?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company