Re: Potential GIN vacuum bug - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Potential GIN vacuum bug
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> User backends attempt to take the lock conditionally, because otherwise they
> would cause an autovacuum already holding the lock to cancel itself, which
> seems quite bad.
>
> Not that this a substantial behavior change, in that with this code the user
> backends which find the list already being cleaned will just add to the end
> of the pending list and go about their business.  So if things are added to
> the list faster than they can be cleaned up, the size of the pending list
> can increase without bound.
>
> Under the existing code each concurrent user backend will try to clean the
> pending list at the same time.  The work doesn't parallelize, so doing this
> is just burns CPU (and possibly consuming up to maintenance_work_mem  for
> *each* backend) but it does server to throttle the insertion rate and so
> keep the list from growing without bound.
>
> This is just a proof-of-concept patch, because I don't know if this approach
> is the right approach.

I'm not sure if this is the right approach, but I'm a little wary of
involving the heavyweight lock manager in this.  If pending list
cleanups are frequent, this could involve a lot of additional lock
manager traffic, which could be bad for performance.  Even if they are
infrequent, it seems like it would be more natural to handle this
without some regime of locks and pins and buffer cleanup locks on the
buffers that are storing the pending list, rather than a heavyweight
lock on the whole relation.  But I am just waving my hands wildly
here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company