Re: Followup Timestamp to timestamp with TZ conversion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Followup Timestamp to timestamp with TZ conversion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 2:07 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Yes, I'm very well aware of that optimization.  While it's certainly
> a hack, it fits within a design that isn't a hack, ie that there are
> common, well-defined cases where we can skip the table rewrite.
> However, for the reasons I explained before, there are no general-purpose
> cases where we can skip an index build on a type-changed column, so
> there is no place to insert a similar hack for the timestamp[tz] case.

Wouldn't the hack just go into CheckIndexCompatible()?

You seemed to think my previous comments about comparing opfamilies
were hypothetical but I think we actually already have the
optimization Peter wants, and it just doesn't apply in this case for
lack of hacks.

Maybe I am missing something.

--
Robert Haas