Re: Doc patch: Document names of automatically created constraints and indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Doc patch: Document names of automatically created constraints and indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 15:12 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> >
>> > That could be useful, I think.  But it might open a can of worms.
>>
>> Would the new option be syntactic sugar around ALTER TABLE ... DROP
>> CONSTRAINT "put_the_name_of_the_primary_key_here"?
>
> Yes, I think so.  We already have DROP NOT NULL, which is a similar case
> (except, of course, that it was born more out of necessity, because
> not-null constraints don't have a name, but that's being worked on).

Yeah.  As usability issues go I think the lack of this syntax is a
fairly minor one, but I confess to having wanted to be able to type
ALTER TABLE foo DROP PRIMARY KEY more than once, so I wouldn't argue
if someone wanted to go make that happen.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company