Re: Doc patch: Document names of automatically created constraints and indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Doc patch: Document names of automatically created constraints and indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 15:12 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 11:42 -0600, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> >> Could ALTER TABLE use an option to drop the
> >> primary key constraint?  I needed to do that,
> >> found it was not obvious, and this lead me to
> >> try to improve things.
> >
> > That could be useful, I think.  But it might open a can of worms.
>
> Would the new option be syntactic sugar around ALTER TABLE ... DROP
> CONSTRAINT "put_the_name_of_the_primary_key_here"?

Yes, I think so.  We already have DROP NOT NULL, which is a similar case
(except, of course, that it was born more out of necessity, because
not-null constraints don't have a name, but that's being worked on).