Re: moving from contrib to bin - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: moving from contrib to bin
Date
Re: moving from contrib to bin  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: moving from contrib to bin  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: moving from contrib to bin  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I'm pretty much -1 on relocating anything that's under src/bin already.

I agree.  I can't see packagers putting it anywhere except for
$SOMETHING/bin in the final install, so what do we get out of dividing
it up in some weird way in our tree?

> So let's put the whole bunch under src/bin/ and be done with it.

I'm not really convinced this is a very good idea.  What do we get out
of moving everything, or even anything, from contrib?  It will make
back-patching harder, but more importantly, it will possibly create
the false impression that everything we distribute is on equal
footing.  Right now, we've got stuff like vacuumlo in contrib which is
useful but, let's face it, also a cheap hack.  If we decide that
executables can no longer live in contrib, then every time somebody
submits something in the future, we've got to decide whether it
deserves parity with psql and pg_dump or whether we shouldn't include
it at all.  contrib is a nice middle-ground.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company