Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Making tab-complete.c easier to maintain
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Here is a new version merging the recent CREATE EXTENSION ... VERSION
> patch from master.
>
> (Apologies for sending so many versions.  tab-complete.c keeps moving
> and I want to keep a version that applies on top of master out there,
> for anyone interested in looking at this.  As long as no one objects
> and there is interest in the patch, I'll keep doing that.)

I don't want to rain on the parade since other people seem to like
this, but I'm sort of unimpressed by this.  Yes, it removes >1000
lines of code, and that's not nothing.  But it's all mechanical code,
so, not to be dismissive, but who really cares?  Is it really worth
replacing the existing notation that we all know with a new one that
we have to learn?  I'm not violently opposed if someone else wants to
commit this, but I'm unexcited about it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company