Re: regression test for extended query protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: regression test for extended query protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
> In my understanding, we don't have any regression test for protocol
> level prepared query (we do have SQL level prepared query tests,
> though). Shouldn't we add those tests to the regression test suites?

A few years ago, EDB had a bug that only manifested itself when using
the extended query protocol.  We hacked together something that could
run our entire regression test suite (roughly equivalent to 'make
check', but an order of magnitude larger) under the extended query
protocol and found a few more bugs of the same general flavor.  There
were a few things that fell over that, I think, were not bugs, but it
mostly worked.

I think it would be an interesting project for someone to try to
figure out how to make 'make check-extended-query-protocol' or similar
work.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company