Re: postgres_fdw, dblink, and CREATE SUBSCRIPTION security - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: postgres_fdw, dblink, and CREATE SUBSCRIPTION security
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 5:44 PM Jacob Champion <jchampion@timescale.com> wrote:
> Sure. I don't see a way for the proxy to figure that out by itself,
> though, going back to my asymmetry argument from before. Only the
> server truly knows, at time of HBA processing, whether the proxy
> itself has authority. If the proxy knew, it wouldn't be confused.

That seems like a circular argument. If you call the problem the
confused deputy problem then the issue must indeed be that the deputy
is confused, and needs to talk to someone else to get un-confused. But
why is the deputy necessarily confused in the first place? Our deputy
is confused because our code to decide whether to proxy a connection
or not is super-dumb, but if there's an intrinsic reason it can't be
smarter, I don't understand what it is.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com