Re: Comment on GatherPath.single_copy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Comment on GatherPath.single_copy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:
>> -     bool            single_copy;    /* path must not be executed >1x */
>> +     bool            single_copy;    /* path must not span on multiple processes */
>
> I agree that the existing comment sucks, but this isn't a lot better
> (and it will probably not look nice after pgindent gets done with it).
> Possibly it's too complicated to jam a reasonable explanation into the
> same-line comment, and what is needed is to expand the sentence about
> it in the comment above the struct.
>
> Robert, could you fix the documentation for that field so it's
> intelligible?

Uh, maybe.  The trick, as you've already noted, is finding something
better.  Maybe this:

-    bool        single_copy;    /* path must not be executed >1x */
+    bool        single_copy;    /* don't execute path in multiple processes */

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company