Re: [HACKERS] statement_timeout is not working as expected with postgres_fdw - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] statement_timeout is not working as expected with postgres_fdw
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a comment in the code which explains why currently we ignore
> errors from DEALLOCATE ALL.
>
> * DEALLOCATE ALL only exists in 8.3 and later, so this
> * constrains how old a server postgres_fdw can
> * communicate with.  We intentionally ignore errors in
> * the DEALLOCATE, so that we can hobble along to some
> * extent with older servers (leaking prepared statements
> * as we go; but we don't really support update operations
> * pre-8.3 anyway).
>
> It is not entirely clear to me whether it is only for Commit case or
> in general.  From the code, it appears that the comment holds true for
> both commit and abort.  If it is for both, then after this patch, the
> above comment will not be valid and you might want to update it in
> case we want to proceed with your proposed changes for DEALLOCATE ALL
> statement.

Oh!  Good catch.  Given that the behavior in question is intentional
there and intended to provide backward compatibility, changing it in
back-branches doesn't seem like a good plan.  I'll adjust the patch so
that it continues to ignore errors in that case.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company