Re: -d option for pg_isready is broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: -d option for pg_isready is broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 10:12 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>>
>>> Attached is the updated version of the patch. Is there any other bug?
>>
>> Not that I can see, but it's not very future-proof.  If libpq changes
>> its idea of what will provoke database-name expansion, this will again
>> be broken.
>
> Why aren't we using the exact same code as psql?  Why does pg_isready
> have its own code for this?

Because pg_isready wants to print the host and port we actually tried
to connect to, which no other utility does.  Turns out, there's no
clean API for that.  We tried to invent something, but the evidence
seems to indicate that what we invented bites.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company