Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 12/15/2014 07:34 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> On 2014-12-15 16:14:30 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Read the thread on this list where I suggested crediting reviewers in
>>> the release notes.
>>
>> Man. You're equating stuff that's not the same. You didn't get your way
>> (and I'm tentatively on your side onthat one) and take that to imply
>> that we don't want more reviewers.
>
> During that thread a couple people said that novice reviewers added no
> value to the review process, and nobody argued with them then.  I've
> also been told this to my face at pgCon, and when I've tried organizing
> patch review events.  I got the message, which is why I stopped trying
> to get new reviewers.

I think what was said is that it isn't very useful to have reviewers
who just report that the patch applies and passes make check.  But any
review that does any study of the code, or finds a bug in the
functionality, or reports that the patch does NOT apply and/or pass
make check, or suggests a way that the documentation could be
improved, or fixes a typo in a comment, or diagnoses a whitespace
error is useful.  Summarizing that as "novice reviewers added no value
to the review process" is like summarizing the plot of Superman as
"alien invades earth".

> And frankly: if we're opposed to giving credit to patch reviewers, we're
> opposed to having them.

This is also an incredibly misleading summary of what the real issue
was, as I just said in my previous email.  We do credit reviewers,
routinely, and have for years.  We have not reached an agreement on
whether or exactly how to credit them in the release notes.  You may
think that there's no value in having your name show up in a commit
log message and that the release notes are the only thing that counts,
but I don't think everyone feels that way.  I *still* get a kick out
of it every time somebody types my name into one of those messages.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company