Re: what does this mean: "running xacts with xcnt == 0" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: what does this mean: "running xacts with xcnt == 0"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> > Is that really a win in clarity? When analyzing a problem I'd much
>> > rather have a concrete hint than something fuzzy.
>>
>> You can't phrase error messages in terms of internal concepts that 99%
>> of users won't understand or care about.  Like Peter says, user-facing
>> error messages need to be written in English, not C.
>
> That's not the actual message, but an errdetail() - and lots of those
> refer to internals? And it's not an error, but a log message? E.g. we
> add error contexts for wal replay errors that print the internals
> literaly?  And it's *really* helpful?

Like what?  That's the only errdetail() currently in the tree that
contains ==, for example.

I see there are three different detail messages associated with this
error message.   You don't really need these messages to be phrased in
any; it's enough to have the messages be different from each other.

1. found initial snapshot in snapbuild file
2. Transaction ID %u finished; no more running transactions.
3. running xacts with xcnt == 0

The second one follows style guidelines, but the other two do not.

I suggest:

1. Logical decoding will begin using saved snapshot.
2. Transaction ID %u finished; no more running transactions.
3. There are no running transactions.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company