Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:13:26PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>> >         Improve hash creation and lookup performance (Tomas Vondra,
>> >         Teodor Sigaev, Tom Lane, Robert Haas)
>>
>> I suggest haveing two separate items.  One of those is about the Hash
>> executor node and the other is about our dynahash stuff.  So they're
>> completely different code bases.
>
> OK, can you give me some text?  Do users really care which part it is
> in?

One item should say something like:

Improve hash join performance.

The Teodor/Tom thing should say something like:

Improve the performance of various in-memory hash tables.  In
particular, this can improve the performance of bitmap index scans.

I assume users would view those as separate things.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company