Re: Long paths for tablespace leads to uninterruptible hang in Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Long paths for tablespace leads to uninterruptible hang in Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Well, that sucks.  So it's a Windows bug.
>
> It's not clear to me that we should do anything about this at all,
> except perhaps document that people should avoid long tablespace
> path names on an unknown set of Windows versions.  We should not
> be in the business of working around any and every bug coming out
> of Redmond.

It's sort of incomprehensible to me that Microsoft has a bug like this
and apparently hasn't fixed it.  But I think I still favor trying to
work around it.  When people try to use a long data directory name and
it freezes the system, some of them will blame us rather than
Microsoft.  We've certainly gone to considerable lengths to work
around extremely strange bugs in various compiler toolchains, even
relatively obscure ones.  I don't particularly see why we shouldn't do
the same here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company