Re: Long paths for tablespace leads to uninterruptible hang in Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Long paths for tablespace leads to uninterruptible hang in Windows
Date
Re: Long paths for tablespace leads to uninterruptible hang in Windows  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On further analysis, I found that hang occurs in some of Windows
>> API(FindFirstFile, RemoveDirectroy) when symlink path
>> (pg_tblspc/spcoid/TABLESPACE_VERSION_DIRECTORY) is used in these
>> API's. For above testcase, it will hang in path
>> destroy_tablespace_directories->ReadDir->readdir->FindFirstFile

> Well, that sucks.  So it's a Windows bug.

It's not clear to me that we should do anything about this at all,
except perhaps document that people should avoid long tablespace
path names on an unknown set of Windows versions.  We should not
be in the business of working around any and every bug coming out
of Redmond.