Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic partition-wise join functionality. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic partition-wise join functionality.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Basic partition-wise join functionality.
>
> Buildfarm member prion seems quite unhappy with this.
>
> I'm not sure if that's a case of the plan choices being less
> platform-independent than you thought, or if it's triggered by the
> -DRELCACHE_FORCE_RELEASE option, in which case there's an actual bug
> here and not just poorly chosen test cases.

It's the bug one.  Ashutosh pinged me off-list and he's working on it.
Somehow I thought it was OK for the planner to have pointers into the
relcache, but apparently we don't keep the relations open throughout
planning, only locked. So set_relation_partition_info and
find_partition_scheme needs to grow code to copy stuff instead of just
pointing to it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company