Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 8:25 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Extrapolating from the way we've dealt with similar issues
> in the past, I think the structure of pg_dump's output ought to be:
>
> 1. SET default_toast_compression = 'source system's value'
> in among the existing passel of SETs at the top.  Doesn't
> matter whether or not that is the compiled-in value.
>
> 2. No mention of compression in any CREATE TABLE command.
>
> 3. For any column having a compression option different from
> the default, emit ALTER TABLE SET ... to set that option after
> the CREATE TABLE.  (You did implement such a SET, I trust.)

Actually, *I* didn't implement any of this. But ALTER TABLE sometab
ALTER somecol SET COMPRESSION somealgo works.

This sounds like a reasonable approach.

> There might be scope for a dump option to suppress mention
> of compression altogether (comparable to, eg, --no-tablespaces).
> But I think that's optional.  In any case, we don't want
> to put people in a position where they should have used such
> an option and now they have no good way to recover their
> dump to the system they want to recover to.

The patch already has --no-toast-compression.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com