Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Damian Carey
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 5:25 AM, Andy Yoder <ayoder@airfacts.com> wrote:
Hello all,

I would like the community's input on a topic.  The words "too far out of the mainstream" are from an e-mail we received from one of our clients, describing the concern our client's IT group has about our use of PostgreSQL in our shop.  The group in question supports multiple different databases, including Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer, DB2, and even some non-relational databases (think Cobol and file-based storage), each type with a variety of applications and support needs.  We are in the running for getting a large contract from them and need to address their question:  "What makes PostgreSQL no more risky than any other database?"

Thanks in advance for your input.

Andy Yoder

Hi all,

I really don't want to waste your time too much on this - so please ignore if so - but I have been watching this group for many years. There are more than 26K emails in my inbox! You never hear from me because really I'm more a Java guy (PG hides behind Hibernate here) - and in the end PG just works perfectly forever on any dodgy customer PC we install on. So on this esteemed group I'm no more than a novice, although I would claim much dev and management experience.

FWIW, my comments on this thread are as follows ...
- The issue is one of "mind share" - MySQL has it, PG deserves it.
- PG desperately needs to have amunition available for this OP
- PG already convinces highly astute people who have time, knowledge, and inclination
- PG misses too many people in influencial positions who don't have the above

This mainly calls for ...
(1) to have a visible community
(2) to have endorsements
(3) to be seen regularly

So what to do? ...
- Every PG conference (or gathering, expo trade show etc) should be expected to submit photos and a brief "story" of what went on. Who (half famous or important) was there, what was discussed, issues of the day etc.
- "Rock stars" within or close enough to PG should be asked to write endorsements. CEOs, CIOs, gun devs, consultants.
- Key PG people should be rostered to contribute one or two articles per year to mags, sites, etc
- All the above should be posted on the website under the banner "Community" or something.
- Anything more than 12-18 months old is trashed.

I'm trying to think of things that take 1-4 hours here and there.

Yip - I know I'm allocating work around where I have no right to do so, but I think that these soft issues are as important as ACID and replication.

Anyway - nuff said - I'll return to my OutOfMemory exception. At least I know the data is safe.

Cheers,
-Damian