Re: Check PostgreSQL status using MS-DOS bat file? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Check PostgreSQL status using MS-DOS bat file?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 09:52:17AM +0000, Loughrey, Hugh wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I want to write a MS-DOS command to check that the PostgreSQL database is up
>> and running and able to accept data being pushed to it. From a bit of reading
>> I’ve identified the pg_ctl status command, but can this be incorporated into a
>> *.bat file and can the resulting status be recorded in a *.txt file? If so does
>> anyone have a command which would enable this?
>
> As I remember it is pretty tricky to call pg_ctl from a Windows batch
> file.  I know the Windows installers do it somehow --- you might want to
> downlaod it and see if you can find the shell script they use.  Dave
> Page might know more --- CC'ing him.

You shouldn't try to start/stop the server with pg_ctl if it's
configured to run as a service (use "net start xxx", "net stop xxx"
for that), but you can check the status:

C:\>"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\bin\pg_ctl.exe" -D "C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\data" status
pg_ctl: server is running (PID: 1040)
C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/9.2/bin/postgres.exe "-D" "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/9.2/data"

C:\>net stop postgresql-x64-9.2
The postgresql-x64-9.2 service is stopping.
The postgresql-x64-9.2 service was stopped successfully.

C:\>"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\bin\pg_ctl.exe" -D "C:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\data" status
pg_ctl: no server running

--
Dave Page