Re: Check PostgreSQL status using MS-DOS bat file? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Check PostgreSQL status using MS-DOS bat file?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 09:52:17AM +0000, Loughrey, Hugh wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to write a MS-DOS command to check that the PostgreSQL database is up
> and running and able to accept data being pushed to it. From a bit of reading
> I’ve identified the pg_ctl status command, but can this be incorporated into a
> *.bat file and can the resulting status be recorded in a *.txt file? If so does
> anyone have a command which would enable this?

As I remember it is pretty tricky to call pg_ctl from a Windows batch
file.  I know the Windows installers do it somehow --- you might want to
downlaod it and see if you can find the shell script they use.  Dave
Page might know more --- CC'ing him.