Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Introduce Migration system for SQLite database - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Introduce Migration system for SQLite database
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Joao Pedro De Almeida Pereira
<jpereira@pivotal.io> wrote:
> Hi Hackers,
> We were looking at the migration pattern created for the SQLite database and
> tried to look into the possibility of using a library that could handle them
> for us.
>
> - Migrations allow us to have a single path of creating the table instead of
> creating tables using SQLAlchemy or hand rolled SQL. This pattern can cause
> issues because updated databases might be different than the ones created by
> SQLAlchemy
> - The version numbering for the migrations is tedious and error prone.
>

> After some research we found these 2 libraries(alembic, flask-migrate) that
> can run migrations for us.
>
> Alembic is a library written by the same person that wrote SQLAlchemy and is
> used to manage and run the migrations.
>
> Flask-migrate is the glue that joins Flask and Alembic allowing us to run
> the migrations directly in the code.
>

> What are your thoughts about this change?

I'm fine with it in principle, assuming that the upgrade process
remains transparent for users.

> Can we safely assume that everyone is in version 14 of the database?

Definitely not.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com