Re: PgAdmin on Windows - UTF8 and WIN1252 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PgAdmin on Windows - UTF8 and WIN1252
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Baptiste GONOD
<baptiste.gonod@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to have a database encoded utf8 and a correct display in
> pgAdmin on (Windows) ?

Yes - people do it all the time, myself included. You don't need to do
anything to make it work - just connect, pgAdmin will set the client
encoding to UTF8 (which it always uses, except with SQL-ASCII
databases), and the server will do any required conversion if the
database encoding isn't already UTF8.

> All my attempts of setting had failed and display the data encoded
> Windows-1252 :

You cannot "see" encoding - you can only see that something went
wrong, so you can't say it displays the data in a different, specific
encoding. pgAdmin uses UTF-8 exclusively internally, so that is always
what will be rendered. Knowing that this has worked correctly for many
years, my gut feeling would be that either your database isn't encoded
as you think and is actually SQL-ASCII, or your front-end app is
messing up the encoding of what's being stored (and likely what it
displays as well, so you don't notice), which then gets displayed
differently by pgAdmin.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com