Re: No such database - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: No such database
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Scott Robinson
<scottwilliamrobinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I tried entering "flybase" (the database I am trying to query) in the
> maintenance DB field and am now confronted with three database symbols
> (under my server connection in the "object browser" panel) with a red "x"
> over each of them:
>
> FB2012_04
> postgres
> template1
>
> Upon clicking any of them I get the same "no such database" error.
>
> Is the "maintenance DB" a newer addition to PostgreSQL? Might I need to
> revert to an older version of pgAdmin?

No, it's nothing special - just the first database pgAdmin connects to
to examine the server. It's worked that way for 10+ years.

So I logged into the server myself, and you're right, pgAdmin doesn't
like it. After poking around in psql, I think what they're doing is
using either pgBouncer or pgPool (both connection poolers) in front of
the database server. The pooler is configured to accept connections to
the "flybase" database, and direct them to a database on the server
called FB2012_04. The problem is that pgAdmin has no way of knowing
about that redirection, and as soon as you click on the FB2012_04
database (or postgres or template1), it tries to connect to it by
name, but the pooler doesn't accept the connections, returning the
error you see.

Unfortunately there's not really anything we can do about that -
you'll just have to use psql on the command line I'm afraid.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company