Re: pgAdmin SSL support on OS X - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin SSL support on OS X
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM, Travis Dart <travis@tacito.com> wrote:
> I recently set up SSL authentication on Ubuntu 13.10 running PostgreSQL 9.1.
>
> I can connect using pgAdmin on another Ubuntu machine. But it will not
> connect on when I try to use pgAdmin (v1.16.1) on OS 10.6.
>
> On the OS X machine, I can connect with psql as follows (excuse the
> redaction):
>
> PGHOSTADDR=---.---.---.--- \
> PGDATABASE=--- \
> PGUSER=--- \
> PGREQUIRESSL=1 \
> PGSSLCERT=~/.postgresql/postgresql.crt \
> PGSSLKEY=~/.postgresql/postgresql.key \
> PGSSLROOTCERT=~/.postgresql/root.crt \
> psql
>
> Using these same settings, pgAdmin will not connect. Each time I retry, it
> gives me a different error message. (It's very odd.) These are the error
> messages it gives me in the order I get them ('...path...' is the path to my
> certificate file):
>
> "Error connecting to the server: SSL error: block type is not 01"
> "Could not read certificate file '...path...' padding check failed."
> "Could not read certificate file '...path...' EVP lib"
> "Could not read certificate file '...path...' certificate verify failed."
> "Could not read certificate file '...path...' uninitialized."
>
> After this, it will repeat the "uninitialized" error message when I retry
> it. When I restart pgAdmin and try again, the messages start over.

I haven't been able to reproduce this exact error message, but I have
fixed a bug that (as far as I can see) would have prevented SSL cert
auth from ever working with a new connection. I've tested on OS X 10.8
and Windows 7 and cert based auth works for me now (except for
backups, which I'm looking into).

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commit;h=a0f34f5e4bfd32128b363d9495d7f4b21187660f

The fix will be in 1.16.2 and 1.18.0.

Thanks!