Re: BUG #7843: Incorrect using icacls - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dave Page
Subject Re: BUG #7843: Incorrect using icacls
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Friday, February 1, 2013, wrote:

> Bug reference:      7843
> Logged by:          Andrey
> Email address:      QuiverNAY@gmail.com <javascript:;>
> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.2
> Operating system:   Windows 7 x64
>
> When i try to install postgresql-9.2.2-1-windows-x64.exe, it ask aboute DB
> files path.
> I have chosen d:\Server\DB\
> then installer runs but file:
> "
> @ECHO OFF
> icacls D:\ /grant "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService":(NP)(RX) >
> "C:\Temp\rad9B244.tmp" 2>&1
> EXIT /B %ERRORLEVEL%
> "
> It is incorrect. I believe that cacls should be run only on specified path
> (d:\Server\DB\).
> Besides this path have full access for Everyone and Administrators.

This is intentional - it traverses back up the path and makes sure that the
service account user has read and execute permissions on each directory up
to and including the root. Otherwise, it may not be able to actually write
to the data directory, even if it has permission on that directory. It's a
somewhat brute-force approach that I hope to improve by 9.3, maybe earlier,
but it does prevent failures in some environments.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company