Re: UBI based container patch - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: UBI based container patch
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
* Do not commit this! *

For the archives....

I reworked the patch to minimise the size of the resulting container. I managed to knock 52MB off, taking it down to 410MB. In parallel, I also managed to reduce the size of the Alpine container by about 25MB as I realised we were shipping some files that aren't required.

To reduce the size of the UBI container, I essentially built a 'ubi-micro' container, by installing only the RPMs that are actually required into an alternate root directory from within the standard UBI container, and then copied that directory into the root of a 'FROM scratch' container. Unfortunately it seems that the issue is essentially the RPM packaging; pulling in things like Postfix also pulls in a huge amount of dependencies that aren't really required (for pgAdmin). Alpine avoids this by minimising their package dependencies.

So, I think it's not feasible to move to UBI, without adding a lot to the size of the resulting container.

Here's the patch anyway!