Re: PgAdmin V 1.16.1 Error - Comment on database - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PgAdmin V 1.16.1 Error - Comment on database
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Jan-Peter Seifert
<Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 01.08.2013 08:40, schrieb Oli Noname:
>> PgAdmin V 1.16.1 (on Win7) with Postgres 9.1 Server doesn´t show the
>> Comments on a Database. Neither in SQL Field then in Preferences.
>>
>> I can overwrite the comments but i still doesn´t show any comment on
>> database but the new set comment can be seen using an older Version of
>> PgAdmin.
>>
>> Comments on Schemas are shown but not on Databases.
>
> Are you sure that only comments on databases are affected? IIRC e.g.
> comments on functions are affected, too.

That has been been fixed for 1.16.2.

> users:
> -When opening the property tab of users they are automatically marked
> invalid and you can't revoke superuser rights. It would be okay to
> refuse this for postgres and if no superuser would be left, but this is
> the case for all superusers.

That has also been fixed.

> backups:
> -you don't see which database/schema is being dumped anymore - you have
> to remember to verify that all objects from the correct database are
> being dumped in the objects tab.

You'll have to explain that one. We display the pg_dump command and
output, which includes any database/schema names that the dump is
restricted to. The output from pg_dump is not something we control
though.

> -You have to remember to choose custom format - otherwise you can't
> restore the backup with pgAdmin III, because it will be in plain text.
> In the past pgAdmin's default was custom format. (Why not just use psql
> for restoring plain text backups if server and psql version match anyway? )

I can't find any evidence in the git history that the default has
changed, *except* for 1.18.0 in which I've changed it to "Custom".

> -backups on Windows 7 still take a much longer time than calling pg_dump
> from command line. This has been the case since 1.12 though ...

I have no idea why or how that could be the case, and it's not
something I've heard elsewhere. Do you use the exact same command in
both cases?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com