Re: PATCH: 'serial' like types were missing while creating table/column (pgAdmin4) - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PATCH: 'serial' like types were missing while creating table/column (pgAdmin4)
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala
<murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PFA patch to fix the issue where 'serial' like types were not listed under
> type combobox while creating new table/column.
> RM#1393

This changes the display text of all integer columns with a dependency
to the respective serial type, e.g.

create table test(id integer primary key);

gets reverse engineered into:

CREATE TABLE public.test
(
    id serial NOT NULL,
    CONSTRAINT test_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
)

I would strongly suggest that we only add "serial" and friends to the
list of available types for creating/adding a column. Once created, we
display the base type, with the default value clause etc.

pgAdmin 3 does what you're trying to do here, but the logic is very
complex, likely broken in some edge cases, and I don't think it really
adds much. See pgColumn::GetDefinition() in
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin3.git;a=blob;f=pgadmin/schema/pgColumn.cpp

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com