Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> It's exactly the kind of discussion that does need to happen, unless
>> we're just going to say yes or no to everyone. We're not a general
>> hosting provider for anyone who wants it, nor do we have the resources
>> to become one.
>
> "Is there demand" is a useful question when creating a list.
>
> "Is project X worthwhile or not" isn't.  Namely, my comment was in
> response to this:
>
> "Forgive my naive question. How is Docker PostgeSQL useful for real
> world use case?"

Whilst I agree that that particular question is not appropriate, "Is
project X worthwhile or not" certainly is appropriate, in as much as
worthwhile equates to "having demand from users". I don't care if
individuals think a project is not worthwhile - I do care if no-one
thinks it's worthwhile, or if a lot of people think it is.

> Maybe it's past time for us to have a formal set of criteria and process
> for requesting new lists, just like we do for other kinds of web stuff
> like events?  A lot of the arguments here might be avoidable with one.

Yes, that seems perfectly reasonable.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com