Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker
Date
List pgsql-www
On 07/10/2014 11:42 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Whilst I agree that that particular question is not appropriate, "Is
> project X worthwhile or not" certainly is appropriate, in as much as
> worthwhile equates to "having demand from users". I don't care if
> individuals think a project is not worthwhile - I do care if no-one
> thinks it's worthwhile, or if a lot of people think it is.

Right, but it's not relevant whether or not people **on pgsql-www**
think it's worthwhile.  It's only relevant how popular it is in the world.

For example, I think that Windows is a worthless OS which has outlived
its usefulness.  That doesn't mean I'm going to champion discontinuing
the Windows installation packages or their related mailing list; Windows
is way too popular for that.

Docker is pretty clear-cut:
- Over 1 million downloads in the last year
- over 2000 downloads of the existing canonical Postgres image since
June 1, even though it's not really in a usable state

Other projects will be less clear-cut, simply because popularity data
isn't available.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.