Re: pgAdmin feature request: SQLite interface - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin feature request: SQLite interface
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been watching this project off and on over the years and it has
> become a very useful and capable cross-platform product.  One of the
> features I would like to have is the capability to use an SQLite DB
> with pgAdmin.
>
> I am not familiar at all yet with the pgAdmin source but is it modular
> enough so that an SQLite (or any other DB) capability could be
> reasonably easily incorporated?  If so, I would be glad to help work
> on such a project.

Yes, it should be, for certain values of "should". We intentionally
factored out the database access code into database-specific classes
when we originally wrote pgAdmin 3 some 10+ years ago, to allow that
sort of functionality to be added.

I have nothing against including some SQLite support in principle, but
whether we'd accept work in that area for a future release really
depends on how invasive it would be to both the build/packaging, and
the code.

Also note that there are early plans (and some prototype code) for
pgAdmin 4 in the works, so extensive work on pgAdmin 3 may not be the
best idea. That said, none of us have exactly had much time to
progress that project yet, don't hold your breath for it either...

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company