Re: pgAdmin 3.0 builds - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin 3.0 builds
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Monday, April 16, 2018, Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
Re: Dave Page 2018-04-12 <CA+OCxoy=h+uN4Pym7PQN+UuzJMeLmRAzjXpUrR6btsqaJa-Wnw@mail.gmail.com>
> > and
> >
> > This would need more testing anyway.
> >

> Should be pretty straightforward - in RPM terms it's a one-line change to
> remove a "Requires" line from the spec file. Updates to the other
> dependency packages will almost certainly take a lot more time
> unfortunately.

The python part is causing headaches - the move from flask-babel to
flask-babelex is hurting because that's not available in Debian, and
the move as such is controversial:
https://github.com/mattupstate/flask-security/issues/715

Hmm, we had to update as flask_babel isn’t working with modern versions of Babel.

At the moment this looks like a huge time sink to package.

Can flask_babelex be built as a private package and installed in the pgAdmin web/ directory? That’s what Devrim does with a bunch of the dips for the RPMs.

Another option which may be a lot easier in the long run would be to not use the packaged python reps at all, and create a single dependency package that is basically a Python virtual envy used just by pgAdmin. I know it’s not ideal from a packaging purists perspective, but my view is that it’s better the users have the tools they want than the packaging follows the letter of the rule book.

Thanks!

Christoph

--
Dave Page