Re: [pgadmin-hackers] First time launch as simple user (improvement needed) - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [pgadmin-hackers] First time launch as simple user (improvement needed)
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Bruno Friedmann <bruno@ioda-net.ch> wrote:
> In packaged world, the user will have a pgAdmin4.desktop file to be able to
> run it from normal menus.

Yes.

> I've just tested a full fresh install on user system, and if it is run from
> graphical environnement, nobody will see the console output
> The configuration database - '/ioda/home/bruno/.pgadmin/pgadmin4.db' does not
> exist.
> Entering initial setup mode...
> NOTE: Configuring authentication for SERVER mode.
>     Enter the email address and password to use for the initial pgAdmin user
> account:

Right - but why would you run it in server mode under a graphical
environment? Server mode is intended for people running in multi-user
mode behind a webserver - in which case the docs are pretty clear that
the user should manually run setup.py from the command line.

If you're in graphical mode (what we call desktop mode), then there
are no prompts.

> The console is "polluated" by the graphical engine, leading to a confused
> user.
>
> What or how can the situation be improved to be able to send pgAdmin4 to
> "dumb" end-users ?
>
> Who can I blame for having a setup for font size (in editor super) and not the
> rest of the interface ... see attachment on my external hidpi (192dpi) screen.
> I can't imagine the hassle to live with so small fonts on the internal laptop
> screen at 288dpi :-)))

I'm not sure why you've got such differences in font size, unless
you've changed your config (the query tool/SQL box font size is
specified in em units in File -> Preferences -> SQL Editor -> Options.
On my retina display, the defaults seem to work nicely. I haven't
heard of anyone else experiencing a mismatch.

The zoom level might be an issue under some OSs. macOS handles it just
fine, but I know on some Windows setups the default is unusably small.
We probably need some code in the runtime to auto-adjust the zoom
level in such cases.

> Last things I found strange is the connection to
> CLOSE-WAIT 1      0      10.26.8.2:43718              192.0.73.2:443
> users:(("pgAdmin4",pid=11818,fd=109))
> the ip point to automattic inc (automattic.com)
>
> I don't know what it does, nor the purpose for that, but I'm afraid to have to
> give an anwser to openSUSE security team if they digg in, and also to
> suspicious users.

I have no idea what that is, and can't find any reference to either
the IP or domain in the code. I also cannot reproduce it on my
machine.

I wonder if it could be Qt Web Engine loading some plugin you have for
Chrome or something like that?

Can you reproduce it outside of the pgAdmin runtime?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company