Re: PATCH: Choose best width for Data Output columns of Query tool - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PATCH: Choose best width for Data Output columns of Query tool
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Dinesh Kumar
<dinesh.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM, J.F. Oster <jinfroster@mail.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Dinesh,
>>
>> Thursday, December 5, 2013, 1:38:10 PM, you wrote:
>>

>> DK> I have reviewed your patch and managed to traverse each line
>> DK> of your code, except "AutoColumn" function body. Could you give me
>> DK> some information, when the pgAdmin goes to this function call.
>>
>> You mean AutoSizeColumn()? In fact it is used only in
>> ctlSQLGrid::OnLabelDoubleClick(). If user doubleclicks column label
>> holding Ctrl/Meta, the column's manual size is forgotten and this
>> function is called to resize that single column immediately (otherwise
>> the user wouldn't notice the effect until re-execution of query).
>

> OK. Thank you.
>
> @Dave:
>
> It seems good to me. I might be wrong in some places in analyzing this
> patch, hence requesting you to look into this once.

I took a look at this, and my only real concern is that the
auto-sizing code is forcing the grid to fully populate itself, which
it's currently specifically designed not to. The result of this is
that if you have a large dataset, there is a delay between when the
query finishes and the results are rendered.

I would suggest that instead of looking at the first 50 rows, and then
looking at every 500th row until the end, we just look at the first
500 and then stop. That won't be perfect of course, but it should
eliminate any delay with large amounts of data.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company