Re: pgAdmin with SSHTunneling support - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin with SSHTunneling support
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Akshay Joshi
<akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>    Here the problem is we don't have an entry in the "pgpass" file for the
> localip:port pair(one end of the SSH tunnel). At the first attempt to
> connect
>    to server it looks for the pgpass entry If stored password is checked, in
> this case user will find the error message. In the second attempt it first
>    prompted for the database password which will be store in the variable
> and in this case user will not bet any error and then for the subsequent
>    attempts it uses the password which is stored in the variable. If we
> restart pgAdmin, again the same problem will occur.

OK, I'm still seeing the issue here. When I first try to connect it
always seems to fail to prompt me for a password and then gives an
error. I think the solution is to simply always ask for the password,
if the server requests it.

>> - If I attempt to connect via SSH Tunnel, but cancel when I'm prompted
>> for a password, the connection attempt proceeds anyway, then fails
>> first with a valid error message about password auth failing, then
>> with an "empty" error message about connecting to the (database?)
>> server.
>>
>> - When attempting to connect with an identity file, I first get
>> prompted for a password anyway, then if I just hit return on that
>> dialogue, I get a message telling me that identity file auth failed
>> (followed by the same "empty" error message).
>

>    Fixed in the updated patch. Attached is the updated patch.

I'm still prompted for the password - though, on further investigation
it appears it's prompting me for the pass phrase for the key, *not*
the password. So I guess we need to change the message in this case.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company