Re: Add comments for a postgres program in bootstrap mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: Add comments for a postgres program in bootstrap mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 12:52 PM Youki Shiraishi <shiraishi@computer.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 12:10 AM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Do you any thoughts on this suggestion?
>
> Sorry, I missed your suggestion.
> The purpose of a comment here is to direct hackers to initdb.c because
> the --boot option is used only by initdb.
> initdb.c describes why it uses the --boot option (i.e., historical
> reason), so I think it should not be described in main.c.

Sorry, I didn't really mean to take out the "for initdb" part.  So, I
should've suggested this

    /*
     * Bootstrap mode for initdb.  Bootstrapping is handled by
     * AuxiliaryProcessMain() for historical reasons.
     */

IMO, it would be good for this comment to say why
AuxiliaryProcessMain() is invoked here instead of, say,
PostgresMain().  "for historical reasons" may not be enough but maybe
it is.

Thanks,
Amit