Re: [PoC] Non-volatile WAL buffer - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [PoC] Non-volatile WAL buffer
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Menjo-san,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 1:13 PM Takashi Menjo
<takashi.menjou.vg@hco.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> I applied my patchset that mmap()-s WAL segments as WAL buffers to refs/tags/REL_12_0, and measured and analyzed its
performancewith pgbench.  Roughly speaking, When I used *SSD and ext4* to store WAL, it was "obviously worse" than the
originalREL_12_0.

I apologize for not having any opinion on the patches themselves, but
let me point out that it's better to base these patches on HEAD
(master branch) than REL_12_0, because all new code is committed to
the master branch, whereas stable branches such as REL_12_0 only
receive bug fixes.  Do you have any specific reason to be working on
REL_12_0?

Thanks,
Amit