Re: [NOVICE] Understanding Encoding - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [NOVICE] Understanding Encoding
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Beena Emerson <memissemerson@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I wonder if you have tried changing your "locale" to ko_KR; something
>> like:
>>
>> LANG=ko_KR LC_ALL=ko_KR \
>> psql -d korean
>>

> Hi,
>
> It still gives same result:
>
> $ LANG=ko_KR LC_ALL=ko_KR
> $ psql -d korean
>
> korean=# SHOW client_encoding;
>  client_encoding
> -----------------
>  EUC_KR
> (1 row)
>
> korean=# INSERT INTO tbl VALUES ('그레스');
> ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "EUC_KR": 0xa0 0x88

I changed the encoding of the terminal emulator (GNOME Terminal
2.31.3) using the Terminal menu as:

Terminal -> Set Character Encoding -> Korean (EUC-KR)

Note that, if the menu only lists UTF-8, you'd have to add EUC-KR
using "Add or Remove".

And it seems to work; could you try the same?

--
Amit Langote