Re: errcodes.h and others not generated when compiling 13.6 on M1 Mac - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Kidman
Subject Re: errcodes.h and others not generated when compiling 13.6 on M1 Mac
Date
List pgsql-general
Actually I made some progress with this. I found if I:

cd src/backend
make generated-headers
cd ../..
make

it works.

So for some reason that submake-generated-headers target isn't getting called for us.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 11:38 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Wed, 2022-04-27 at 10:05 +1000, Sam Kidman wrote:
>> I recently upgraded one of our applications to use postgres 13.6. When I try to compile
>> from a source checkout or by running asdf install (our version manager which also compiles 13.6)
>> I get the same error message:
>>
>> ../../src/include/utils/elog.h:71:10: fatal error: 'utils/errcodes.h' file not found

> I'd say that you didn't ./configure the PostgreSQL source.

No, we dealt with that case long ago: you get

$ make
You need to run the 'configure' program first. See the file
'README.git' for installation instructions, or visit:
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/installation.html>
make: *** [all] Error 1

Anyway, 13.6 certainly builds on my M1 laptop, as well as my
M1 buildfarm animal [1], so it's not a case of "it's completely
broken".  But you need the appropriate prerequisites, eg
an Xcode installation [2].  I wonder exactly what configure
options the OP is using, and what's installed on his Mac
beyond bare macOS.

                        regards, tom lane

[1] https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=sifaka&br=REL_13_STABLE
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/installation-platform-notes.html#INSTALLATION-NOTES-MACOS