Re: "could not reattach to shared memory" on buildfarm member dory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heath Lord
Subject Re: "could not reattach to shared memory" on buildfarm member dory
Date
Re: "could not reattach to shared memory" on buildfarm member dory  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> [ Thanks to Stephen for cranking up a continuous build loop on dory ]

That was actually Heath, who is also trying to work this issue and has
an idea about something else which might help (and some more information
about what's happening in the event log).  Adding him to the thread so
he can (easily) reply with what he's found.

Heath..?

Thanks!

Stephen

   So what I noticed after adding the '--force' flag was that in the Event Viewer logs there was an Error in the System log stating that "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application" for the Runtime Broker.  So around 2:00 pm today I went and changed the ownership of the registry values to Administrators so I could add the user we are running the builds under to the list of members that have access to it.  However right after I made that change the build was actually broken for me so I am just now turning the builds back on to run constantly to verify if this has any effect on the issue of not being able to reattach to the shared memory.  I am hoping that this makes things more stable, however I am not confident that these are related.
  The change that I attempted prior to this, which was done last Wednesday, was to remove the vctip.exe program from being used as this was causing issues for us as well.  This was causing an Event ID 1530 error that stated that "The application this is listed in the event details is leaving the registry handle open" and Windows was helpfully closing any registry values for that user profile, and I thought that possibly when doing so it was cleaning up the memory that was allocated prior.  However this did not change anything for us after making that change.
   Any ideas or changes that we could do to help debug or verify would be helpful.  We have considered changing it to run everything as SYSTEM but if possible we would like to avoid this for security reasons.  Thank you in advance and I appreciate all the help.

-Heath