Re: Alternative to Multi-Master Replication with 2 Data centers?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Jungwirth
Subject Re: Alternative to Multi-Master Replication with 2 Data centers??
Date
List pgsql-general
> We are load balancing 2 data centers.

Chapter 8 of Scalable Internet Architectures has a good discussion of
running master-master setups in separate data centers. I'd read that
whole chapter for some of the challenges you'll face.

> If DC1 goes down our LB is failing over to DC2.

This sounds like it will bring down both databases. In general using
the same machine for both load balancing and failover means that in
practice you have no failover, because if one box goes down doubling
the traffic will overwhelm the other one. If you want high
availability you should have a separate warm standby in each
datacenter, for four machines total. Otherwise you're just spending
lots of time and money for the appearance of failover but not the
reality. Or at least test it and make sure one failure won't cascade
to the whole system.

Good luck!

Paul