Re: invalid connection type "listen_addresses='*' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Jungwirth
Subject Re: invalid connection type "listen_addresses='*'
Date
List pgsql-general
>> It is non-specific since it is assumed at this point in the documentation
>> that you realize ALL "configuration parameters" are defined in
>> postgres.conf or its includes.

I think the comments in pg_hba.conf are a lot more misleading than the
online documentation, and are more likely to be read. They say:

# Put your actual configuration here
#
# If you want to allow non-local connections, you need to add more
# "host" records.  In that case you will also need to make PostgreSQL
# listen on a non-local interface via the listen_addresses
# configuration parameter, or via the -i or -h command line switches.

Followed by four blank lines, then some more comments and the default
settings. It really invites the user to fill in that blank space with
a listen_addresses line.

Paul