Re: invalid connection type "listen_addresses='*' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: invalid connection type "listen_addresses='*'
Date
List pgsql-general
David G Johnston wrote

> Aram Fingal wrote
>>>
>>> "listen_addresses='*'"  parameter doesn't belong in pg_hba.conf
>>>
>>> This parameter should be in postgresql.conf
>>

>> Thanks.  That was really unclear, at least the way I followed the online
>> documentation:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
>>
>> …even after following the link to the listen_addresses parameter.
> It is non-specific since it is assumed at this point in the documentation
> that you realize ALL "configuration parameters" are defined in
> postgres.conf or its includes.  The fact the comment is in a note, and
> links elsewhere, implicitly reinforces that fact - if it belonged in the
> pg_hba.conf file its description would be part of the normal document and
> not a sidebar.
>
> Admittedly this is all perfectly clear when you actually understand
> everything already.  While the documentation may be unclear to you
> unfortunately you are the only person in a long while to actually post the
> complaint to the lists and so its hard to justify figuring out how to make
> the documentation clearer.  It is equally important not to be redundant,
> verbose and/or repetitive.  The occasional confusion making its way to the
> list it preferred.

All that said I would not be opposed to adding a parethetical to the note:

"[...] value for the listen_addresses configuration parameter (in
postgres.conf), since the default [...]"

since indeed the reader's mind is on the pg_hba.conf file and so easing the
context switch is an easy improvement.

David J.