Re: Large arrays give long lag on server side before command executes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Helgason
Subject Re: Large arrays give long lag on server side before command executes
Date
List pgsql-general
On 26. sep 2004, at 17:25, Tom Lane wrote:

> David Helgason <david@uti.is> writes:
>> On 25. sep 2004, at 01:42, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> No, it's not the same --- David sent me some results off-list and it
>>> seems ReadArrayStr is the culprit.  I'm not completely sure why yet.
>
>> After playing around, I found the culprit.
>
> I suspected as much but couldn't be sure without seeing your test data.
> I take it you have lots of quotes and/or backslashes in your big array
> values?

Yes, I've got bytea-typed digests in there, and those naturally will
have lots and lots of quoted stuff in them. I get the same – though not
as dire – with text fields, unless when these contain very plain data.

As soon as I wrap my brain around the details of ReadArrayStr() I'll
try to reimplement it. Unless someone intimate with the code gets there
first of course :)

d.