Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pettis, Barry
Subject Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table
Date
Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table  ("Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com>)
Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table  (Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk>)
Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table  (Justin <justin@emproshunts.com>)
Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table  (Shane Ambler <pgsql@Sheeky.Biz>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

        I’m fairly new to DBMS’s and PostGre SQL in particular.  Most of my experience is with MS Access.  I’ve created MS Access to retrieve data from PostGre by linking tables and have done so without error.  However, I am now in need of being able to update a PostGre table.  The source will be a .csv file.

        I’ve seen a “COPY” command in PostGre that will allow you to specify a .csv file as the source, but in looking at it it appears that it deletes and then creates the table with the stored data.  I need to be able to Update or Append data from a file.  Maybe going the route of a temp file then update from that.

        I’m using Access as that is a point of comfort for me.  I can write a .net procedure though I’m not exactly firm on the procedure.

Thoughts on how to do the entire front end in Access.

Or

Thoughts on whether to do it from a .net perspective.

MSAccess ( 2003 )

PostGreSQL ( 8.1.8 )

Regards,

Barry Pettis