Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin
Subject Re: Make MS Access "UPDATE" PostGre SQL Table
Date
List pgsql-general

Pettis, Barry wrote:

Hi,

        I’m fairly new to DBMS’s and PostGre SQL in particular.  Most of my experience is with MS Access.  I’ve created MS Access to retrieve data from PostGre by linking tables and have done so without error.  However, I am now in need of being able to update a PostGre table.  The source will be a .csv file.

        I’ve seen a “COPY” command in PostGre that will allow you to specify a .csv file as the source, but in looking at it it appears that it deletes and then creates the table with the stored data.  I need to be able to Update or Append data from a file.  Maybe going the route of a temp file then update from that.

        I’m using Access as that is a point of comfort for me.  I can write a .net procedure though I’m not exactly firm on the procedure.

Thoughts on how to do the entire front end in Access.

Or

Thoughts on whether to do it from a .net perspective.

Another option is use SQL pass through to append records from ACCESS table into Postgres table that is open in Access.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303968
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb208861.aspx
the command would look something like this

Insert into PosgresTable (f1, f2, f3,) Select f1, f2, f3 from  AccessTable

Once you get a handle on SQL pass through in Access that knowledge will make using ADO.NET allot easier.

a starter look at ADO.NET
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms978510.aspx?s=6

Postgres has .net provider http://pgfoundry.org/projects/npgsql